Thursday, July 18, 2013

And here I am!


I've made it to geek mecca!

Hello San Diego!!!!

I landed here bright and early on Wednesday. I got onto the plane fully expecting every person there to be clothed in geek ware and was sadly disappointed to see only a few t-shirts.  I DID, however, get a lot of compliments on my super awesome Sherlock t-shirt and felt a little better. I mean, why else would anyone be flying to San Diego during Comic Con!

First thing I did after hugging my brother was head straight to the convention center to claim my badge. YOU GUYS - I GOT THE BEST DEAL EVER WITH THIS BADGE!!! Since I am volunteering, I have a pass for the full 4 days, plus the preview night. What I didn't realize was that, I was not a regular volunteer, but considered a STAFF MEMBER. This means that I get to go into the convention center BEFORE the general public. I also do not have to wait in the regular lines for most things and can go into a few of the restricted areas as well.  This little fact has completely spoiled me already. I feel like a celebrity when I get to just walk right by the lines that are stretching around the block.

So Andrew and I went straight inside and checked out the convention floor before it opened. We got to see them setting up and getting ready.  Very cool stuff.

A before the show look at this motorcycle riding outfit.
Stormtrooper goofing around before the show. -notice there are not a million people all over the isle! 

Had to check out the Lego booth! 

Lego Superman! 

After lunch at the Hard Rock Hotel and a nice little nap, it was time to meet my volunteer team and get to work. Andrew and I got there before opening and wandered around trying to figure out where to go ( let's just say that the convention center staff isn't very organized). We are helping out in Artists Alley.  We checked in and got our instructions only to find out that they had too many people there and not enough for us to do. So we got to go play instead.

Let the madness begin! HOLY CROWD CONTROL BATMAN! Once those doors opened, people were running like their pants are on fire to the different booths. The toy companies were a hot ticket, with the Hasbro line wrapping around the floor within seconds. We couldn't buy anything from them with because we have a staff badge, so we missed out on any exclusive toys ( and I'm fine with that because I'd rather not be in that line). I headed over to the BBC America booth and picked up my Doctor Who T-shirt. I scored some tickets to come back for an autograph session with the cast of the show Orphan Black. Then we walked around and tried to look at the different booths.
BBC America booth with Doctor Who wardrobe from the show. 

The crowd was so congested and busy that we just got bumped and shuffled around with the crowd. It was still pretty neat to just walk around and soak it all in.

Here are a few of my  pictures off my phone. I'll load more when I can get the rest off my camera. 

T-Rex could'nt give me a hug with his tiny arms. 

Biggest Batman toy I've ever seen at the FunCo Toy booth. 
I guess people got to go through this complete with Zombies and such. 

Smeagel was there too! 

I don't even know what this is! 

And to finish the night off, I met Ashley Eckstein who is on Star Wars the clone wars and created the Her Universe clothing line. She was soooo nice! 

Well that just covers the preview night, but I'm way too tired to cover today, so  I will catch up soon and tell ya all about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment